As the heat rises, so does your AC bills. To keep your air conditioning expenses under control you might be wondering, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Huntingburg?
It’s a common belief that turning your air conditioner on and off throughout the day is a waste of energy. This is actually a myth.
Keeping your air conditioner going all day means you’re not using it very efficiently. We suggest setting your thermostat higher when you’re away, and lowering it when you come home. You can accomplish this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat can do the job for you.
It’s significantly more laborious for your system to stay at a consistent setting throughout the day. It can also cause a lot of strain on your equipment, since it’s repeatedly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your electricity bills, it may also cause a shorter life span for your AC unit.
In any case, the greater the difference between your indoor temperature and the outside temperature, the greater your air conditioning expenses will be. So, what can you do to keep cool and keep your electric bills low in the hot weather? Here are our ideas based upon recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
Six Approaches to Increase Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Change Your Thermostat. The DOE states that you can conserve up to 10% a year on heating and cooling by turning up your thermostat 7-10 degrees during the time you’re away at work. During the summer, it’s advised to set your thermostat at 78 degrees at the time you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re out. It’s also important to forgo setting your thermostat to a cooler setting than normal when you turn on your AC unit. This doesn’t actually cool down your home any faster, it just results in bigger electric bills. While these temperatures might appear high, there are additional methods to keep cooler without having to always run the air conditioner.
- Utilize Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says increasing the thermostat by just 2 degrees and using your ceiling fan can lower AC by up to 14% over the course of the warm months. It’s important to be mindful that that fans cool people, not areas. So, when you leave the room, turn the fan off to be energy efficient. Also, keeping blinds down and curtains closed during the day helps keep chilled air inside. There are also some window solutions designed to deliver extra insulation and boost energy efficiency.
- Effectively Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky openings throughout a home permit conditioned air to quickly escape and warm air to get within. This may cause your AC equipment needing to work harder to keep your home comfortable and your utility bills to increase. Check that any openings, doors and windows are adequately sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are quick fixes for leaks or drafts close to windows and doors.
- Arrange Routine Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your unit is always performing at its most efficient. This lets our experts to find small issues before they turn into serious problems. A maintained air conditioner is typically more efficient and can even run for a longer period of time.
- Invest in a Smart Thermostat. One of the best methods to ensure comfort and cost-effectiveness is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat intuitively adjusts the temperature based on your daily schedule. It works with your smartphone to sense when you’re home or away to optimize your energy savings. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could potentially save you about $180 annually on HVAC costs.
- Consider Replacing Your Air Conditioning Unit. You can anticipate a properly taken care of AC unit to last for 15-20 years. But if you’re often calling us for air conditioning repair or your AC bills are rising with no change in thermostat settings, it could be time for an upgrade. We offer many energy-efficient air conditioners, including ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without negotiating comfort.
Improve Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with Dearing's Service & Solutions
No one enjoys seeing their electricity bill climb during the summer. If you’re looking for more ways to keep your energy use and bills lower this summer, our team can help. Get in touch with us at 812-200-5844 or contact us online today for more info.