Spring is in the air here in Huntingburg and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Dearing's Service & Solutions team has some recommendations that will work to keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home seem as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to coincide with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your awesome trip on social media, but try to wait until after you are back to post photos of your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as delighted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to conserve energy while you’re out of town is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Dearing's Service & Solutions in Huntingburg a call at 812-200-5844.