Whether you enjoy winter or desire the warmer months in Huntingburg, a lot of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a big impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that should be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it should be replaced. We suggest at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can fix temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The professionals at Dearing's Service & Solutions can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Dearing's Service & Solutions in Huntingburg a call to get started. You can reach us at 812-200-5844 or schedule an appointment with us online.